Tips for the Video Interview:
Today, video conferencing is often viewed as a convenient method for conducting an interview with prospective job candidates. This rings especially true with the initial screening interview where prospective employers often choose this method over the more traditional in-person or phone interview.
The following tips are critical when preparing for a video interview:
- Dress Code is #1
- Keep the look ‘formal’ from top to bottom. This means not only wearing the dress shirt or blouse, but also the pants or skirt (just in case the camera picks up more than your head and shoulders).
- Keep the Background Clean & Simple
- Be sure you set your laptop up in front of a bare wall without photos, pictures, mirrors, etc. The focus should be on YOU and not other distractions the camera may pick up.
- Speak a Little Slower
- Talking a little slower during a video conference typically exudes more confidence. Take a breath and don’t be afraid of a pause.
- Quiet PLEASE
- Be sure that all pets, kids and so on are far from earshot. Microphones can easily pick up unwanted background noises.
- Posture, Hand Movement, Facial Expressions
- All movements may appear exaggerated when viewing a video. Keep smiling, maintain a good posture by sitting up straight, and be sure that hand movement is kept within moderation.
- Standard Interview Prep and Techniques Apply
- As with any interview – whether in-person or by phone – you need to be prepared. There’s a lot of information out there via the internet, books, etc on how to best prepare for any interview, regardless of how it’s conducted. I’ve written a few blogs as well to help you prepare including “Interview Tips – Beyond the Basics”.